Saturday - On My Own

JULY 17, 2010
On Saturday, I left the campus early to drive around the northern part of Cherokee Nation.  My first stop was the Talbot Museum in Colcord.  In my searching for information on the Walkingstick Family, I had discovered that the Talbot Museum had a special research collection of historical and genealogical resources.  They had named the area the Walkingstick Research Room in honor of Jack and Ollie Walkingstick Rooks.

TALBOT MUSEUM



WILL ROGERS MUSEUM
Next I drove to Claremore to visit the Will Rogers Museum.  By the time I got there, the temperature was over 100 degrees.  Fortunately the museum had the air conditioner on full blast and it felt great.  The museum does a great job of explaining how popular Will Rogers was in his day.  Much of what he said then applies to our politicians today.  Learning more about his Cherokee heritage was especially interesting. 





After Will Rogers was killed in a plane crash, he was buried in Los Angeles.  He and his wife are now buried here at the museum.