Cherokee Warriors Memorial

Located at the Cherokee Nation Complex is the Cherokee Warriors Memorial.  The Memorial opened in 2005 and honors Cherokee citizens who have served in the military.

I first learned of this Memorial at the 2009 Northern California Cherokee Picnic, where both Principal Chief, Chad Smith, and Deputy Chief, Joe Grayson, pinned the Cherokee Warrior Medals on war veterans who attended the Picnic.  It was very touching to see the men and women receive these medals.  I emailed Joe Grayson's office to find out how I could get a medal for my father.  This all occured during the week my father was visiting me.  I was told to email a brief bio on my Dad with his contact information and Cherokee Nation would do the rest.  I talked with my Dad to learn more about his service with both the U.S. Merchant Marine and the U.S. Army.  I emailed the information to Cherokee Nation and the very next day I received a FedEx shipment with both the medal and a certificate signed by the Chief.  My father was so honored.  Another item in the package was a form to complete to have a brick in his name added to the Cherokee Warrior Memorial.  This was all for free.

I was very anxious to see if his brick was there and was thrilled to see that it was.

 
 


This is me pointing to Dad's brick.  He has a good spot.